Start your Journey with the Henderson Group
The Henderson Group is one of Northern Ireland’s top companies supplying to over 500 SPAR, EUROSPAR, VIVO, VIVO Essentials and VIVOXTRA stores across the Province. We’re also an all-Ireland leading Foodservice distributor suppling food and non-food products to customers such as hotels, schools, restaurants, pubs, fast-food franchise, bakeries, and cafés.
Our Logistics (Warehouse & Transport) function is like a well-oiled machine at the heart of operations, planning, picking, packing and delivering goods to our customers from our distribution centres in Mallusk. Keeping our customers happy by ensuring they receive the right products at the right time is what it’s all about!
If you’re aged 16-24 and interested in a career in Warehousing & Transport and a promising future with one of Northern Ireland’s biggest employers, look no further!
To apply – please fill out the application form here
Logistics Apprenticeship Scheme (Warehouse & Transport)
What you’ll do
As an Apprentice you’ll gain a broad overview of how a highly successful logistics operation works. You’ll learn all about how our products get from suppliers to our customers’ shopping baskets, and work your way towards a Level 2 Certificate in Warehousing and Storage as well as gain qualifications in manual handling equipment.
You will also have the opportunity after completion of the programme to decide whether you specialise in Warehouse or Transport with, if you’re interested in Driving, the opportunity to train on our ‘Warehouse to Wheels’ programme to become an HGV Driver* (subject to minimum age/service requirements). We also have opportunities for any ambitious managers-to-be through team-leading training and qualifications.
What areas does the apprenticeship cover?
• Picking and loading of customer orders
• Stock levels and records
• Scheduling and planning
• Driver and delivery assistance
• Operation of logistics equipment (e.g. pick-trucks, fork-lift trucks)
• Health and safety in the logistics workplace
• Communication and teamwork skills
• Working within ambient, chilled, and freezer warehouse functions
What’s the duration?
We expect the Apprenticeship to start in September 2019 and last up to 2 years. The speed at which you progress is up to you!
What do I need to apply?
You’ll be aged between 16-24 (at time of application) resident in the UK for over 3 year and no longer in full-time education. Ideally you should have GCSE English and Maths (Grades A-C) but if not, we’ll help you gain Essential Skills with your Warehousing and Storage qualification.
You will need to be able to meet the needs of our operational working hours; early shifts start at 6am and late shifts finish at 11pm. You’ll be required to work shifts in line with these start and finish times.
You should also have the following:
• Great communication skills
• Attention to detail
• Good numeracy skills
• Team worker
• Ability to multi-task and work well in a fast-paced environment, flexibility in working hours and hungry to develop and progress within a career.
• NVQ Level 2
• Essential Skills in Maths and English (if required)
• Training in MHE (Manual Handling Equipment)
• Structured career path with opportunities to progress into Management or Driving/Transport related-roles.
You’ll work up to 38 hours per week, be paid every 4-weeks and receive a great rate of pay with opportunities to earn more when you get to join the warehouse performance incentive scheme.
Starting Rate of Pay – £5.50 per hour moving to £6.50 per hour upon commencing your NVQ in January. Upon completion of formal qualification, pay will increase further with opportunities to engage in the performance incentive scheme. The rate of increase will depend on your rate of completion, average qualification time takes 6-12 months.
You’ll get first-class training, support, and opportunities in one of Northern Ireland’s biggest and best companies.
We also offer a range of fantastic benefits such as social club, discount (grocery/fuel) at our SPAR/EUROSPAR stores, PERKS discount scheme throughout UK/Ireland, healthcare, employee assistance programme for you and your family, and many more benefits.
Above all, you’ll be joining an award-winning team, where the recipe for success is having fun and a positive attitude, helping each other, and celebrating our achievements!
What our 2018 Apprentices say
• “10/10 everything is good, I have been shown how to do everything I need to know to date, I enjoy the loading and being out with the drivers helping”.
• “I’m really loving it….I really enjoy working in the warehouse”.
• “I’m really enjoying it and am fully committed to do my best”.
• “I’m enjoying it. Didn’t know much about logistics before I started but enjoying it now and would like to stay on after apprenticeship”.
• “Everyone has been helpful and friendly”.
• “The programme was well planned out at the start with the schedule”.
• “I get a lot of support”.
• “I have fitted in with the team and can understand what is expected from me”.
• “I have built relationships with people…I have learnt about team work and how important it is in the warehouse”.
Join us to Work, Earn, Learn and Get Your Career on the Move at Hendersons!
Completed applications must be submitted online by midnight on Sunday 4th August 2019.
To apply – please fill out the application form here